STRAIGHTEN UP-YOUR BODY POSTURE INFLUENCES YOUR THINKING AND LIFESTYLE
“Stand up straight.” That timeless advice we have probably all heard at one time or another. It’s worth heeding. Whether you’re slumped in front of a screen or slouching from fatigue, sit up and check out the reasons why proper posture is worth the effort.
As we get older, bad habits such as slouching and inactivity cause muscle fatigue and tension that ultimately lead to poor posture. The complications of poor posture include back pain, spinal dysfunction, joint degeneration, rounded shoulders and a potbelly.
Putting in the effort to improve your posture has huge payoffs. But what is good posture really?
Good posture is also known as neutral spine. When we have good posture, the muscles surrounding the spine are balanced and supporting the body equally.
LONG TERM EFFECTS OF POOR POSTURE
Sitting, standing or lying in the same position for long can put an unnatural level of strain on our muscles, joints and ligaments. These include amongst others the below mentioned:
• Change in Spinal Curve : which can cause long term pain and discomfort due to imbalance.
• Poor digestion : The compression in the digestive organs impacts metabolism and can negatively affect the body’s natural ability to process the food it consumes.
• Cardio Vascular problems : This issue is higher in people who sit all day with a bad posturet
• Back Pain : Spending a lot of time sitting with bad posture leads to back pain and disc degeneration.
BENEFITS OF A GOOD POSTURE
• Keeps bones and joints in the correct alignment so that muscles are being used properly
• Helps decrease the abnormal wearing of joint surfaces
• Decreases the stress on the ligaments holding the joints of the spine together
• Prevents the spine from becoming fixed in abnormal positions
• Prevents fatigue because muscles are being used more efficiently, allowing the body to use less energy
• Prevents backache and muscular pain
• Contributes to a good appearance
To Achieve Good Posture You Will Require the Following:
• Good muscle flexibility
• Normal motion in the joints
• Strong postural muscles
• A balance of muscles on both sides of the spine
• Awareness of your own posture, plus awareness of proper posture which leads to conscious correction
STEPS TO IMPROVE POSTURE
• STAND UPRIGHT: Place your back and neck posture against a wall. This helps in finding areas that you need to work on while standing. Be aware of your feet and their positioning. Place equal weight on both your legs while you stand, ensuring that your body weight is equally distributed across both feet.
• SITTING POSITIONS: When you do have to sit, make sure you have a good chair that supports your back. Sit at a 135-degree angle as it puts less strain on your spine
• STRENGTH TRAINING: Regular exercises such yoga and pilates focus on strengthening your core, which helps you correct your posture and maintain it
• SLEEP WELL: Use good postural mattress and pillows when sleeping which help avoiding neck muscle pull or back pain when you get up
• BREATHING EXERCISES: Do breathing exercises that focus on lengthening your spine, engaging your waist muscles and lower core muscles
• NECK PLACEMENT: Mobiles and laptops when are looked at for hours at a stretch, causes craning the neck downwards. Instead of bending your neck down to look at your phone, hold it up straight in front of you
“A good stance and posture reflect a proper state of mind.” – Morihei Ueshiba. A great posture will not just make you look younger and fit, but will also change the way you look at yourself. Your athletic performance will improve and you will be free from developing any kind of pain in the future both physically and mentally
Take action now to start your journey to become the best version of yourself. Use Vissco’s Posture Aid which help to correct posture and ease pain. Vissco’s Wellness range of Orthopaedic Back rest for Yoga, Orthopaedic Back Supports, Contoured Cervical Pillows also help to correct the posture as well as ease back and neck pain respectively.